This degree course, starting every September, is awarded by the University of East London and will qualify you to work as a Montessori teacher for children aged 3-6 years. All students will also gain the globally recognised AMI 3-6 Diploma and have the option of a third year of study to gain a BA (Hons).
UK students taking their first degree can apply for UK student loan funding for course fees and living costs.
Study for a Foundation Degree in Montessori Pedagogy (AMI 3-6) and you will gain an in-depth understanding of child development and psychology as well as how to deliver the unique Montessori approach to education.
“I came straight out of the organisation and into a job – it was fantastic!”
What can I do with this qualification?
- Teach in Montessori schools anywhere in the world
- Be counted in the UK staff to children early years ratios (by gaining the Early Years Educator qualification as part of your study)
- Set up your own Montessori school
- Choose to take an additional third year of study to gain a BA (Hons) Early Childhood with Montessori Pedagogy – all foundation degree students have automatic entry
- Go on to further study such as a Post Graduate Certificate in Education to teach in UK primary and secondary schools
- 90% of Maria Montessori Institute graduates are in job within 3 months or less
When and where can I study?
- Our degree course is run in partnership with the University of East London but all tuition is at our training centre in central London
- The course runs from September-June
- Full time course over 2 years with up to 3 days a week tuition
How will I study?
• Lectures with our trainers – experienced Montessori teachers with the advanced AMI trainer of trainers qualification
• Practice with Montessori materials in our specially equipped rooms
• Teaching practice and classroom observation at Montessori schools
• Independent reading and study
What will I learn?
• The authentic Montessori approach that meets the needs of children aged 3-6
• Montessori educational theory, child psychology and child development
• How to use and prepare Montessori resources and classrooms
• The Montessori approach to key areas of children’s learning including language, literacy and mathematics
“Montessori encourages that inspirational, joyful learning that makes children enjoy school.”
Who can take this course?
- You must be at least 18
- We generally require 72 UCAS points (from A Levels, A2, BTEC Diploma, CACHE Diploma or International Baccalaureate) and Grade 4/C in GCSE English and Maths but other international qualifications and work experience can also be taken into account
- English language requirements – overall IELTS score of 5.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking (or recognised equivalent) – if you do not meet these language requirements UEL offer an extra English course before starting the degree
- We will interview all our applicants, usually by telephone or via Skype or similar systems
Please email us or phone us on 020 7435 3646 if you have questions about entry requirements.
Do you accept students from outside the UK?
• Our students come from all over the world
What will I need to do to gain the qualification?
• 90% course attendance
• Montessori material making and practice
• Classroom practice and observation
• Written and oral examinations
What qualifications will I gain?
- Foundation Degree in Montessori Pedagogy (AMI 3-6) (Level 5 qualification worth 240 credits on the UK Qualification Framework)
- AMI 3-6 Montessori Diploma
- Early Years Educator qualification – this is fully integrated into the course and students can study for it alongside their degree
On completion of the Foundation Degree students have the option of a third year of study at the University of East London or online to gain:
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood with Montessori Pedagogy (Level 6 qualification worth 360 credits on the UK Qualification Framework)
Discover how to unlock children’s true potential with this unique degree
Read about course dates and fees. Please note UK students taking their first degree can apply for UK student loans.