This Post Diploma course open to AMI Diploma 3-6 holders is a scientific observation of children using techniques developed by Maria Montessori. Through discussion and practice, students gain a deeper understanding of the Montessori approach and how it is applied in the Children’s House. The course is online and one of the course options offers Chinese translation.
Overview of the Course
- Sessions will use data collected from direct classroom observations, which will be interpreted and analysed for use in responding to the child’s developmental needs
- Students will apply the information gained from this scientific data when working with children and observe the outcomes
- Observations will be used as a basis to explore Montessori theory and reflect on how it may be put into practice
- Observations must take place in Children’s Houses led by an AMI Diploma holder
- Students will be expected to read or view specific resources and reflect on questions in preparation for online sessions
You can choose one of the following online formats for this course:
- Group A: Mondays, 18:30 – 20:30 UK time, every 2 weeks during UK term time – 4th October 2021 – 6th June 2022. Apply for MMI Observation Course Group A.
- Group B: Wednesdays, 11:30 – 13:30 UK time every 2 weeks – 6th October 2021 – 8th June 2022 – this option will also be translated into Chinese by an experienced translator. Apply for the MMI Observation Course – Chinese.
Course fee: £1650
Feedback from our 2019 course:
“The training has been absolutely superb and I have genuinely enjoyed each and every moment of it. There have been times I thought I have heard and learnt it all, only for Louise or a colleague to raise a cogent point to make you think and make you sit up. The open sharing and the guidance of Louise through her wealth of Montessori knowledge helped make this class relaxing but extremely effective. I will surely recommend this training to all my colleagues and friends.”
Eddy Agyemang – Peninsula Montessori Kindergarten, China
“Although trained in AMI and practicing in the classroom for nearly nine years, I am well aware that my observation is not systematic enough, and the potential of my observation had not yet been tapped. To boost my expertise, I joined this course with colleagues, who were equally passionate about Montessori education. Louise inspired us to think: What should we look for? How do you find the spark of your child’s interest? How do I see the information in my records? And how do you make targeted plans? By taking this course I got answers on the “difficult” aspects!”
Zhang Jingmei – Peninsula Montessori Kindergarten, China
“The course helped me re-evaluate my working habits, learn what signs I should look for in the classroom and move from unscientific to scientific observation. For those considering a further training after the AMI diploma, the Post Graduate Observation Course will take your observation skills to the next level.”
Award of MMI Observation Course Certificate
The certificate is awarded to students who have satisfied the course requirements:
- Final submission of 2 case studies to the required standard
- Satisfaction of the 90% attendance requirement
- AMI Montessori Diploma 3-6
- Working in a Children’s House run by a teacher with an AMI Diploma for the duration of the course
- Minimum of one-year experience working in a Children’s House
Applying for the Course
Please complete the application form online. On completion of the online form, you will need to email the following documents to support your application:
- A personal statement (click to download and fill in) completed, and saved as a .pdf file.
- Copy of your AMI Montessori Diploma 3-6, scanned and saved as a .pdf file.If you are selected for the course, you may be invited for a Zoom interview. We will contact you to arrange the interview. Spaces are limited and we cannot guarantee everyone a place.