This innovative approach to dementia care for families and professionals enhances quality of life for people living with dementia. It creates an environment in which individuals can do as much for themselves as possible with meaningful roles, routines and activities tailored to the individual.
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for family members, carers, nurses, support workers, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, and volunteers.
“The best dementia training I have ever attended.”
Mandie, Adult Carer Advisor, Crossroads Care
What will I learn about?
On this course you will learn how to:
- Prepare environments where people can care for themselves and their community
- Give individuals roles and activities tailored to their abilities, matching strengths and abilities with personal history
- Encourage independence, friendships, social connections and a sense of purpose
- Develop routines that build confidence and self-esteem
- Provide cues, prompts, materials and templates to support the person’s memory loss
- Use the approach for individuals, groups, at home and in residential settings and hospitals
- Focus on the person, not the dementia
About the Trainer – Anne Kelly
The course will be presented by Anne Kelly, Montessori Dementia Consultant who has pioneered the Montessori approach to Dementia in Australia and has been running our workshops since 2018. Participants will receive handouts and a certificate of completion from AMI.
For future course dates please register your interest in a Montessori for Dementia and Ageing course. We will be in touch when new dates are announced.
Our short course focuses on the Montessori for Ageing and Dementia programme, as established by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI).
How will I study?
The course will take place with live sessions on Zoom. You can access the sessions on a PC/laptop/tablet/smartphone with speakers, a microphone and a good internet connection. You will have opportunities to ask the trainer questions during the session.
I have caring responsibilities at home, can I attend the sessions with my relative at home?
You are welcome to attend with a relative at home if you feel you will be able to give the session most of your attention. You can mute your audio if necessary.
Do you accept students from outside the UK?
The course can be taken from anywhere in the world but will be delivered via live online sessions so you will need to check the time in your time zone.
Montessori for Dementia and Ageing Certification
If you have already attended a Montessori for Dementia and Ageing Workshop in the UK and would like to register for the certification, please click here for further information and to apply.
In the News