The AMI Orientation is an inspirational introduction to the Montessori approach for anyone interested in education and child development. AMI Orientation graduates can work as Montessori classroom assistants. Discover how Montessori can help children reach their full potential.
- Each AMI Orientation (formerly Assistants Certificate) course focuses on a child’s developmental stage: 0-3, 3-6, 6-12 and 12-18 years
- The courses are online – with live sessions plus study in your own time
- 2023/24 academic year course fee – £840
What students say:
“A course like no other . . . get ready to get more out of it than you expect.”
“Knowledgeable, passionate, friendly, adaptable trainer. Truly inspirational.”
“EVERYONE should take this course.”
“I liked how varied it was and the structure flowed well.”
“I looked forward to every lecture!”
“I now feel that I see my children, and all children, under a new light.”
Who is the course for?
- Anyone considering a career in Montessori
- Those wanting to train as an assistant in a Montessori setting
- Parents, grandparents and carers
- Professionals working with children including nannies/ childminders, teachers, early years professionals, social workers and health visitors
What will I learn?
- Montessori theory, child psychology and child development
- How to observe and support each child at their developmental stage
- Use of Montessori resources and preparation of learning environments
- How to work with the Montessori teacher
Upcoming AMI Orientation Courses
A period when the core of personality, social skills, and human values are developed. Montessori meets the needs of the infant and fosters a sense of independence and belonging, as well as supporting movement and language acquisition, enabling children to feel capable.
Interested in future dates? Keep me up-to-date on AMI Orientation 0-3 courses. We will email you when new dates are announced.
Children learn through real-life activities that support independence; the manipulation of objects which provides concrete sensorial experience; and open-ended exploration which refines their movements, sensory perceptions, language, ability to concentrate, social skills and intellect.
3-6 years – online, part-time over 6 weeks
Monday 15th April – Thursday 24th May 2024
Three live online sessions held each week on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays 6:00pm – 8:30pm (UK time) plus 4 – 6 hours of directed study per week
More information on 3-6 course content
Interested in future dates? Keep me up-to-date on AMI Orientation 3-6 courses. We will email you when new dates are announced.
Children are characterised by their curious minds, ability to abstract and imagine, moral and social orientation and energy for research and exploration. They work in small, mixed-age groups on projects which spark the imagination, engage the intellect and develop reasoning.
6-12 years – online, part-time over 3 weeks
Monday 26th February – Thursday 14th March 2024
Three live online sessions held each week on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 6.30pm – 8:45pm UK time plus up to 16 hours of directed study per week
6-12 years – Dublin, Ireland – blended – in-person and online, part-time over 6 weeks
Saturday 13th January – Saturday 24th February 2024
In-person sessions on 4 Saturdays from 9am-4pm (GMT) and live online sessions on Tuesday evenings 6-9pm (GMT) plus up to 16 hours of directed study per week
Early bird fee offer: save £70 before 30th November – total fee £770.00.
Venue for in-person sessions: The Children’s House, Thornhill, Lower Kilmacud Road, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin, Ireland
More information on 6-12 course content
Interested in future dates? Keep me up-to-date on AMI Orientation 6-12 courses. We will email you when new dates are announced.
Young people are helped to understand their changing bodies and relationships and to prepare for adulthood by participating in practical work in a setting as close to a real society as possible. They experience the responsibilities of everyday life and gain an appreciation for nature.
Interested in future dates? Keep me up-to-date on future AMI Orientation 12-18 courses. We will email you when new dates are announced.
How will I study the AMI Orientation?
- Live lectures and discussion with our experienced Montessori AMI trainers
- Demonstrations of Montessori materials and resources
- Observing children and short assignments
- Directed study in your own time including recorded lectures, videos and reading
Please note that we strongly recommend the use of a desktop computer or laptop for all live Zoom sessions.
Who can take the AMI Orientation course?
- You must be at least 18
- Minimum of GCSE / Level 2 qualifications or equivalent
- The courses are delivered in English and involve reading and writing assignments
- We may interview applicants – via Zoom or similar
- Students from Wales could access a Welsh Government Learning Grant for this course
Do you accept students from outside the UK?
Our students come from all over the world and our fees are the same for everyone. Our online courses can be taken from anywhere in the world but will be delivered via live online sessions on Zoom so you will need to check the time in your time zone. You will need to check you can use Zoom in your country.
What will I need to do to gain the AMI Orientation qualification?
- 90% course attendance
- 9 hours of observation of children
- Three 500 word essays