International Students

Our online courses are joined by students from all over the world and our in-person courses at our training centre in the heart of central London are also attended by many international students. Our students enjoy training in this global city and making connections with people from many different countries; as one student expressed it: ‘We are the UN’. (School Inspection Service Report 2019)

Do I need a visa?

Our online courses do not require a visa.

Our in-person courses are open to UK nationals and non-UK nationals with the appropriate visa or immigration permission for studying full-time in the UK. Please note that dependents cannot be brought over on a Student Visa for our Diploma courses.

If you are unsure whether you need a visa please consult the UK Visas and Immigration website:

Which visa do I need?

The table below lists what type of visa non-UK nationals need for our in-person courses.


For up-to-date information about how to apply for the visas please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website:

What if English isn’t my first language?

You need a good level of English to succeed on our courses. All applicants need to demonstrate their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English. If the highest qualification you hold was not studied in English, you may need to provide an English language qualification/test even if you do not require a student visa.

English Language Requirements for a Student Visa
You will need to do the IELTS for UKVI Academic English language test (or equivalent) with an approved SELT test provider for a Student Visa and achieve at least CEFR level B1 in all four components (reading, writing, speaking, and listening). You will find list of approved test providers on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

You are exempt from this test if you are a national of a majority English speaking country, or have completed a degree-level course of study in an English speaking country. To check whether you need to take this test, please refer to the UK Visas and Immigration website:

Do I need additional finance as an international student?

The course fees are the same for all students. International students who need a Student Visa to study in the UK are required to pay the course fees in one instalment (Early Bird or Discounted Course Fee) before they can apply for a Visa. This is to ensure the Visa application has the best chance of success and allows us to issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which is required for all Student Visa applications. Any course fees paid will be refunded in full if the Visa application is unsuccessful.

The schedule of fees can be found on our Training Dates & Fees page.

Additional Finance Requirements for Student Visas

For some countries you will need to provide a bank statement evidencing funds required as set out by UKVI as part of the Student Visa application. However, you do not need evidence of funds if you are a British national overseas or from many countries including Austria, Bulgaria, Denmark, France, Germany, Finland, Ireland, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and Romania among others. For the full list of these countries visit the UKVI website.

Please note that international students who need a Student Visa to study at the Maria Montessori Institute are not permitted to work in the UK.

Graduate Visas

Upon graduating, students on the AMI Diploma courses are not eligible to apply for the Graduate Visa as the Maria Montessori Institute is not a licensed sponsor for this.

Any other questions?

If you have any questions about applying for a course as an international student please email us at